To help avoid this run around I have tried to compile a checklist of things below that folks should run through with their builder and rectify BEFORE they take formal possession of the residence.
If you find anything missing then please feel free to leave a comment and I will add for the benefit of all our readers
Here goes :-
- Check for gaps between door frame and wall. Push the frame to see it is anchored firmly
- Check for hinge fitting, ensure there are screws in each of the screw ports.
- Check door catcher/ stopper for proper functioning
- Check door knobs & locks for smooth closure & functioning.
ALUMINUM/ UPVC DOORS & WINDOWS
- Check Lack of alignment if any. Ensure that the doors open and close easily.
- Check rubber beading for hardening, cracks
- Check if the grills are properly painted
- Ensure that the door/ window frame has drain holes
- Check that the shutters lock properly
- Ensure that the glass is fixed properly and the beading is intact and not coming off.
WALLS & CEILING
- Check plastering quality, there should be no uneven-ness. Ensue that there are no cracks
- Check for excessive dampness in the wall (if any)
- Check false ceiling in bathrooms (if there), ensure that it is properly fixed with no cracks.
- Check tiling even-ness & grouting. There should be no cement marks on the tiles
- Check for any cracks or scratches
- For Bathrooms, Utility and Balcony check the floor tilt to ensure correct water flow into the drain and that there is zero water accumulation anywhere.
- Ensure that there is no hollowness in the floor. Tap each tile or bounce a ball on each tile to check for the hollow sound. A hollow sound indicates that the tile is not set properly & needs to be replaced.
- Check for proper grouting of the tiles/ stone slabs especially in bathrooms
- Check for working of light points/switches (carry a zero watt bulb & tester if possible). Especially check the AC points, builders sometimes leave the AC points dummy (with no wiring)
- Check each point has cover plates & there are no cracks.
- Check availability of light, telephone and cable TV points as per plan.
- Check that all the plates are horizontal and not tilted
- Plates should be clean and free of paint marks.
- Check every circuit breaker.Switch off : Should switch off with a slight touch, Switch on: should not switch off while switching on.
- Check each switch for correct contact and springiness. Click should be clearly audible and not muted when switched on and off.
- Insist on getting the wiring diagram pasted on the inside of DB door Also check that the wiring of the home matches with the circuit diagram on the box.
- Check that the smoke sensors work. An agarbatti will help to awaken the sensor 🙂
- Check the sanitaryware (Wash basins, Sink, WC) for any scratches or cracks
- Ensure Kitchen Sink is grouted properly and that there is no leakage.
- Check the chrome fittings – ensure that there is no corrosion.
- Check whether the towel holders, faucets, toilet paper holders are provided as per plan.
- Check pipes for any leakages
- Ensure there is no blockage in any of the drains – I have personally struggled with flooding of the apartment due to this
- Ensure that the flush works properly
PS: If you have a question to ask then please note: On Nov 15th we have launched the Q&A module on The Studio website. The Q&A interface on this blog was unable to scale to the number of questions that we have been getting – you would have noticed being unable to scroll down to a question once the number of questions below a certain post increases beyond a certain limit.
Hence if you have a question then please post it at https://thestudiobangalore.com/questions-and-answers/